Which breast pump should I buy?
Table Of Contents
- 1 10 Best Breast Pumps Reviews of 2017
- 2 Type of Breast Pumps
- 3 Hospital Grade Breast Pumps
- 4 Our Recommended Best Hospital Grade Breast Pumps
- 5 1. Medela Symphony Plus Hospital Grade Breast Pump
- 6 2. Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single
- 7 Personal Electric Breast Pumps
- 8 Our Recommended Best Electric Breast Pumps
- 9 1. Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Pump
- 10 2. NUK Expressive Electric Pump
- 11 Manual Breast Pumps
- 12 Our Recommended Best Manual Breast Pumps
- 13 1. Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump
- 14 2. TOMMEE TIPPEE Manual Breast Pump
- 15 Our Recommended Top 5 Breast Pump Reviews
- 16 1. Medela Swing Breast Pump Review
- 17 Medela Swing Breast Pump Instructions
- 18 2. Nibble Double/Single Electric Breast Pump Review
- 19 Nibble Breast Pump Instructions
- 20 3. True Review of Medela Freestyle Breast Pump
- 21 4. BelleMa Melon Comfort Double/Single Electric Breast Pump Review
- 22 5. Medela Pump in style Advanced Breast Pump
- 23 Best Breast Pump Brands
- 24 Philips Avent Breast Pumps
- 25 Browns Breast Pumps
- 26 Medela Breast Pumps
- 27 Nuk Breast Pumps
- 28 Tommee Tippee Breast Pumps
- 29 Spectra Breast Pumps
- 30 How Does a Breast Pump Work?
- 31 Reasons Why Breast Pumps are used
- 32 How to Use a Breast Pump?
- 33 Breast Pump Buying Tips
- 34 Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Breast Pump
- 35 5 Things You Should Consider Before Buying a Hospital Grade Breast Pump
- 36 6 Things You Should Consider Before Buying an Electric Breast Pump
- 37 5 Things You Should Consider Before Buying a Manual Breast Pump
- 38 Conclusion.
Finding the Best Breast pump can be time consuming and stressful because you want the most comfortable and efficient one. So, buying a breast pump is an important purchase. Every breastfeeding mother unique experiences. Some may find breastfeeding easy and uncomplicated, while others may find it more challenging. No matter what the experience, all mothers breastfeed better with support of family and friends. Also, often with the help of a good breast pump. To understand why you must buy the best breast pump, you need to know the history behind it and some facts. These will help you make an informed decision on which pump to purchase. This article will save you the time and energy by providing you with all the relevant information and a list of the Best Breast Pumps available today. This post will also be touching upon the best breast pumps within the personal electric, hospital grade and handheld pump categories. It will show the most popular and the best price pumps.
|Comparison By||Manual Breast Pump||Electric Breast Pump||Hospital Grade Breast Pump|
|Recommendation||Best for those who express intermittently||Best for those who pump frequently or occasionally.||Best for anyone looking for a high quality, durable and attractive breast pump.|
10 Best Breast Pumps Reviews of 2017
|Hospital Grade||Our Review|
Spectra Breast Pump
|Hospital Grade||Our Review|
Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump
Medela Freestyle Breast Pump
BelleMa Melon Comfort Double/Single
Electric Breast Pump
Type of Breast Pumps
- Hospital Grade Breast Pumps
- Personal Electric Breast Pumps
- Manual Breast Pumps
Hospital Grade Breast Pumps
Most of you no doubt, have given birth in hospital or are going to. Best Hospital Grade Breast Pumps are the strongest and most durable available to breastfeeding moms. Cycle frequencies may feel a bit low to some mothers, but if that’s the case you would need a hospital grade pump. Similar but more industrial to personal electric pumps, these pumps effectively stimulate your breasts to adequately raise your levels of the hormones to increase your breast milk production and output.These breast pumps are robust and strong enough to build and maintain a healthy supply of breast milk. If you’re pumping exclusively, a double pump may be a good investment.if money is not an issue for you, then grab this type of breast pump over the rest as it will be much more effective and easy to use.
Best Hospital Grade Breast Pumps are designed and approved by the FDA to be safe for multiple users. They are designed with barriers that prevent cross contamination. With stronger, powerful motors than personal electric and manual pumps, more efficient pumping and a high-level suction are provided. They are also designed for different pumping situations such as improving milk flow, for twins and to induce lactation. Those with dual pumps, which empties both breasts at once, can cut expressing time in half, approximately 15 minutes.This helps you to get a significant volume of milk and will be your best bet for maintaining your milk supply
Unlike the manual and personal electric pumps, these powerhouses are more bulky and heavy making it difficult to transport easily. But are more durable, used for frequent and daily use, meaning that replacement parts are less likely to be needed.
Our Recommended Best Hospital Grade Breast Pumps
1. Medela Symphony Plus Hospital Grade Breast Pump
Medela’s hospital-grade electric double pump Symphony is the latest from the reputable company. With 2 pumping phrase programs, mothers can alternate between the let down and a slower, deeper rhythm for expressing milk efficiently. Stored on a program card, enables the motor to remember which phrase the mother recently used. Extensive research has resulted in the design and manufacture of the Symphony. A durable and best quality breast pump of the Medela Hospital Grade model range.
It’s gentle and effective and so a brilliant investment. As it’s electric, not hand powered, you can adjust the intensity.
It comes with both options of battery powered (including battery pack) and wall powered including the wall adapter.
Conveniently, by making use of the two separate membrane units, the mother can alternate between the single and double expression pumping choices. This is by applying or removing the second kit to the second breast of choice. Also, with the let-down button, which initiates and maintains milk supply, the mother can return to stimulation with ease if direct breast feeding is not possible. It also includes a timer so that if you haven’t had a let-down within the first 5 minutes it will automatically switch over to the slower mode. You can switch back and forwards at any time.
A specially designed membrane protects overflow by separating the kit and pumping mechanism.
This awesome, robust breast pump is wonderful for the mothers of premature and multiple infants. Also, mothers who have breastfeeding issues for whichever reason are encouraged to try the Symphony to build/maintain milk supply.
The yellow exterior makes it very easy to blend within any home.
Although it weighs at 7.9 pounds, it is made to last. Its sturdy frame has the dimensions of 13 x 8 x 10 inches.
- Bulky so ease of portability is an issue
- May be expensive for some
- Should be connected to a mains outlet
- Value for money
- Empties breasts quickly meaning better outputs than some other pumps
- Dual or single use
- Rechargeable Battery: Equipped with 2 internal rechargeable batteries
- 3 year limited warranty
So, if you’re a mother looking for a decent, well made and long lasting hospital grade pump, follow this link:
- Medela Symphony.
2. Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single
Comfortable, efficient and hygienic hospital grade pump.
This popular, innovative and gentle breast pump from Spectra brings style to breast pumping. New to the U.S. market, Spectra brings in its eye-catching pumps. Not every woman is the same and breastfeeding can be hard at the best of times so no wonder you want to have an easy and less
Not every woman is the same and breastfeeding can be hard at the best of times so no wonder you want to have an easy and less time-consuming pump.
With this Spectra S2 you can adjust the pump to start it in the message mode which simulates the body’s let down reflex and then set it to the rhythm similar to when your baby nurses, which is called the expression mode. You can switch between these two modes to adjust it to your personal comfort levels. You can also adjust the suction with these two modes.This ensures that every woman would be able to use this best breast pump no matter what the flow or rhythm. This best breast pump emits minimal noise and has a built-in nightlight so you can easily express in the small night hours with little disturbance. Its simple white and pastel pink colors
You can also adjust the suction with these two modes.This ensures that every woman would be able to use this best breast pump no matter what the flow or rhythm. This best breast pump emits minimal noise and has a built-in nightlight so you can easily express in the small night hours with little disturbance.
Its simple white and pastel pink colors fits in with almost any decor showing how sleek and minimalist its design is. The ability to customize just about everything on this pump makes it very appealing for any mother, regardless of your breasts. Mothers of twins would love the Spectra dual pump use.
This 3.3-pound hospital grade breast pump is designed to be powerful, efficient and to fulfill the moms’ confidence levels. The digital control screen is easy to use with a touch button. It’s also flexible with the option for use as a double or a single. A useful timer is included so you can see how long you’ve been pumping for. Another benefit is the closed system meaning that it protects from
It’s also flexible with the option for use as a double or a single. A useful timer is included so you can see how long you’ve been pumping for. Another benefit is the closed system meaning that it protects from back flow, and the flanges also are designed to make sure milk goes directly into the bottle instead of into the back flow protector whilst protecting breast milk from harmful bacteria.
This also makes it easy to reuse and lend to family and friends. Its recommended washing the relevant parts every other day or at least weekly. Whilst milk may get into the filter, you don’t have to replace your tubing since it’s a closed system. Unless you misplace them. If milk does get into the filter, they are easily opened and closed, perfect for an easy cleaning.
The dimensions for this product are 7.9 x 7.9 x 6.7 inches meaning it’s compact.
It also comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Closed system
- Easily transportable
- Auto shut-off after 30 minutes
- May come with different flange sizes to what you need
- Bottle holder on top of machine may not hold bottle snugly
- No replacement valves; need to buy separately
- Not suitable for long journeys
So, if you need a hygienic, efficient, comfortable and quiet pump, this is the best pump to purchase!
Follow this link to get it for.
- Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single
Personal Electric Breast Pumps
The electric pumps can be a large investment so, taking into account convenience and durability, some can be costly. Research different manufacturers products to ensure that you purchase the best breast pump for you. Whilst some have intermittent pumping action which better imitates a baby suckling, others have a constant vacuum which can cause some nipple discomfort.
Perhaps you’re a working mother. Or going away for a weekend. Or even just stocking up on milk. Best Personal electric pumps ensure that your baby is still benefiting from your milk when you’re not around whilst being efficient and easy to use. This gives fathers and other family members a chance to bond with the child too. Efficiency is important if you plan to save a large quantity of milk. Extracting more milk than a manual pump means it’s useful when you’re busy. An electric pump can speed up the process of milk supply and is recommended if you prefer to offer expressed milk (either part of or all the time) for any reason. To speed up the process, even more, some pumps possess a dual feature meaning that both breasts are pumped at the same time.
Some pumps have a range of features including:
- Double pumping functions
- Adjustable suction levels
- Multiple settings
Automatically working when the cup is in place on your breast, this pump saves you time and aching wrists giving you a sense of relaxation.
Adjustable suction levels mean that the level of comfort is controlled. Build up the levels slowly. Setting the strength to high straightaway may be painful or damage your nipple. Although some electric pumps can be noisy meaning it’s hard to express discreetly. And some can be heavy rendering them not very portable.This may be embarrassing for those working mothers in the workplace. Although, manufacturers are constantly continuing to use advanced technology, in which to create lighter pumps that make much less noise.
Some electric pumps require a mains outlet to be used. This can be restrictive for the mother’s movements. But, many other models can be operated with batteries making them more convenient for active mothers.
Our Recommended Best Electric Breast Pumps
1. Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Pump
Major manufacturer Philips Advent offers this double-electric breast pump as one of the winners of the Parent Tested, Parent Approved award. This affordable breast pump is designed to allow you to sit upright instead of leaning over like many others, allowing your backs a rest! This is due to an angled neck which includes a soft petal cushion which lets milk flow naturally from breast to the bottle by simulates your baby’s suckling. This is better than the standard hard plastic which can be uncomfortable. This model that allows you to pump both breasts at once, which will cut pumping time by half.
These cushions come in two sizes. A 25 mm is included in the price which fits most moms but if a smaller size is needed, a 19.5 mm cushion is also sold separately.
The 3 settings installed means you’re able to choose which flow works best for you. It also supports simulated pumping saving you from doing one breast at a time and thus saving you time and possibly improving milk flow by continuous flow.
Easy to assemble, this pump only has a few lightweight parts. These are also easy to wash and sterilize with some parts being able to go through the dishwasher which makes cleanup a breeze. BPA free, the pumps sanitary design prevents from harmful bacteria and tubing encountering the milk. The pump, bottles, nipples, and cushions are all also BPA free.
Its sleek design means it would fit in discreetly in your home and its small, lightweight frame means it’s easily transportable. It also comes with a carry tote which is useful to put it in if you’re going away for a while. The sturdiness of this moderately priced breast pump means that it is built to last and will not break down. This is the best breast pump for working moms.
- BPA free
- Compatible with classic and natural bottles
- Comes with accessories such as bottles with slow flow teats and caps
- Easy to buy replacement parts in a regular store
- Nonadjustable speed and suction limit
- Replacement parts may be required after a certain amount of continuous and heavy use
- Only mains powered. Not suitable for battery power.
- Only compatible with AVENT bottles
Additionally, all Spectra pumps come with a two-year warranty, and accessories come with a 90-day warranty.
For those who have money to spend on a well-known, moderately priced and reliable brand, this pump is for you. BPA free, the attractive motor pump and accessories relieves your back from bending over meaning that you can express with ease and comfort. This allows you to feel relaxed and less stressed.
Follow the following link to get it. Includes free shipping within the USA.
- AVENT Double Electric Pump.
2. NUK Expressive Electric Pump
This scientifically designed electric pump is perfect for those on a budget. It is promised to deliver a similar performance as the leading pump. Very personable, it even includes a photo holder! This can be an incentive when you’re away from your baby.
If you’re looking for something that is an alternative to a larger pump, this is the best breast pump to for. It can be used at home or at work and even comes with an AC adaptor so you can charge it in your car.
Customizable with up to 32 different settings to adjust speeds and suction levels, this maximizes your milk flow and increases pumping efficiency. This ensures you achieve your personal comfort level by being able to easily adjust the settings.Mimicking a baby suckling, these natural pumps sections emit an experience like real life. The pump also has soft breast cushions with lightly textured, massaging rings which shape perfectly to your breast to help the flow of milk continue efficiently and to stimulate letdown.A digital display with easy to push button controls, integrated into the pump, exhibits selected settings clearly. Perfect for those dark night-time expressions. A memory button is also featured, saving your preferred settings for easy use for next time. Easy to assemble and clean, this pump is perfect for those who want a relaxed and quick experience.
The pump also features easy to hold breast funnels with long tubing and a built-in handle on the motor unit for portability.Weighing less than one pound, the pump motor unit is lightweight. It also has long tubing connecting the breast funnels to the motor meaning that it can be put at table height for your comfort. This means that those who work and or stay at home can transport this pump with ease. Perfect for those who want to express frequently and this is the best breast pump for little to no hassle. It’s the best breast pump for everyday use.
- Pump with easy-grab handle & photo holder,
- 2 breast shields with valves & membranes,
- 2 silicone cushions, 2 5-oz containers with Silicone Nipples Size 1 (slow flow),
- 2 Collars, Caps and Seal Disks for Storage,
- and a Voltage Adapter.
The pump, milk storage container, nipples, and massaging breast cushion are made without BPA.
Easy to use, just ensure the breast pump shield with the valve is properly connected to the motor unit, and then just screw on a milk bottle provided before pumping.
- Silicone instead of hard plastic covers
- Bottles that are included attach directly to pump
- Easily transportable
- Assembles easily
- Can be used as a single pump
- Not battery powered but does come with an AC adapter.
- Can be noisy
- Dual controls aren’t independent to one another
- May not yield as much milk as some other brands
- Membranes, being clear are hard to see when cleaning
- Doesn’t have a let-down flow feature
- In conclusion, if you are a mother that has a low budget and wants an alternative to an expensive breast pump, this is the one for you. It saves more time than using a manual pump and can be moved from different locations with ease. Also, if you are suddenly distracted or need to stop pumping temporarily, there is a memory save feature that allows you to come back and finish where you left off with no hassle.This budget-friendly electric breast pump is for you.
- click here to get it!
Manual Breast Pumps
Simply by placing the breast shield/flange over the nipple and squeezing a handle or pumping a piston, you can express the milk.These types of breast pumps are designed for very occasional use – once or twice a week
Unlike an electrical pump, a best manual breast pump may feel more natural and a more convenient size. These simple pumps suction rate are generally more easily controlled thus reducing discomfort.Once the suction cup is placed over the breast, working the pump by squeezing the handle creates a rhythmic vacuum. Hand pumps are generally more affordable, smaller and lighter than electric pumps. With a manual pump, because it’s a lot quieter, there won’t be any motor noise to disturb baby if he’s nursing on one breast whilst you’re pumping on the other.
Also, as it’s a cheaper option once you buy it there wouldn’t be any hidden costs like electric and fewer parts to clean and sterilize. A manual pump is ideal for pumping on the go. In places where electricity may not be available, handbag compatible, it’s easy to transport anywhere.
If you’re away from home, expressing every now and then and looking for a low-cost option then a manual pump is the best option for you.
If you’re not used to pumping/expressing, these pumps can be difficult to master until you find a regular rhythm although many manual breast pumps come with accessories to make them easier to use. Some manual pumps include bottles that you can express your breast milk straight in to. Having more than one bottle allows you to express and store extra in one sitting.
Our Recommended Best Manual Breast Pumps
1. Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump
This purple, 0.3kgpump is a must-have for all new mothers who plan on breastfeeding. It features two modes, stimulation, and expression as well as two size flanges for ideal suction and fit. This enables the mother to switch easily between the two pumping modes, to aid in let-down and maximize pumping efficiency. This can be implemented by use of a simple switch at the top of the handle.
The two size flanges that come with the aesthetically pleasing pump, are standard (25mm) and large (30.5mm), which ensures the mothers ideal suction and pumping comfort.
As manual breast pumps get a bad reputation for aching wrists and hands, it has designed and implemented an ergonomic easy-express handle which reduces hand fatigue.
Compatible with Lansinoh Momma bottle, it has flanges with natural wave nipple to mimic a new born baby sucking actions and comes with Lansinoh breast milk storage bottles for easy storage.
Convenient and portable, the Lansinoh manual breast pump is ideal for occasional use at home or on the go. The wide neck bottle makes milk transfer easier and are compatible with the natural wave nipple so you can pump, store and feed, all with the same bottle.
Its dimensions are7.8 x 7.6 x 4.1 inches so very compact and easily handbag transferable. Designed for ease of use, Lansinoh’s manual breast pump provides a discreet and convenient way of expressing while on the move, with no need for batteries or an electrical source.
Includes custom bottle stand – for securing bottle and preventing spills
Simple and easy to clean, assemble and to use, it comes with few parts.
- All parts of pump are dishwasher safe
- Pump is both BPA and BPS free
- Well made
- Not having the same constant flow like you do with an electric one
- May be expensive compared to other brands. But that’s relative to the mother’s preferences
2. TOMMEE TIPPEE Manual Breast Pump
This Closer to Nature manual breast pump is perfect for those mothers who want a quiet, discreet and easy to control the pump. It’s lightweight, being 0.040 kg, and compact ensuring you achieve just the right level of suction whilst traveling or occasional expressing. Ideal for times where electricity is not available.
This portable pump provides all the mother needs to express, protect, prepare and feed. So, the baby will have all the benefits of breast milk, even when a mother is not there. This gives the father or whomever else a chance to bond with the baby. This small and discreet pump screws directly onto the bottle that is provided ensuring that storage is easily manageable. It also can attach to the storage pot and is also one of the few manual pumps available that can attach directly to a milk bag allowing for storage to be even more effortless.
Manually operated, this small pump does not take up much space at all. (Dimensions being: 4 x 4.5 x 8 inches.)
It comes in three parts making it easy to assemble and dissemble. Thus, easily detachable saves time washing up.
With its flexible silicone, soft cup, it will make expressing feel natural for it has massaging ripples, designed to mimic your baby’s sucking action. Encouraging let down and ensuring comfort for the mother.
- May not create a tight enough suction
- The hole where the nipple fits may not be large enough for certain women
- Not a dual pump so only one breast can be expressed at a time
- Can make hand/wrist sore after a long period of use but this is to be expected for some
- May not feel very sturdy to some. So, if exclusively expressing, this may not be the one for you
- Brilliant for relieving soreness/engorgement
- BPA-free for added peace of mind
- Good value for money
- Quick results
- Comes with a handy sterilizer box
If you’re looking for a simple, cheap and reliable pump. Look no further!
- Closer to Nature Manual Pump.
Some of the largest worldwide companies manufacture breast pumps amongst other baby and mother products.
Our Recommended Top 5 Breast Pump Reviews
1. Medela Swing Breast Pump Review
If your manual breast pump is giving you a hard time pumping, then it is time you should do a bit of research and move to a better alternative. Probably because, there is an acute shortage of time for mothers of today or lack of some really good innovations in the field back in 1990’s, companies today are leaving no stone unturned to bring to you the best of this technology. With electric breast pump and hospital grade breast pump, the world is indeed a better place for hard working moms.
The Breast pumps help to keep the little ones satisfied whenever you are not around and let you enjoy your motherhood with the minimum of hassle. So, if you have to go to that important business meeting or need to attend your dear friend’s wedding, there is something which you can look up to all the time while fulfilling your responsibilities of being a mother!
From the hands-free, Bluetooth, app-based, double pump, to the battery-charged models, there seems to be an ample variety to choose the best breast pump, which serves all your needs in the most tender way.
Why is Medela Swing Breast Pump an ideal choice for you?
- The lightweight and a compact product help you easily stash it in a small purse.
- Moreover, different vacuum pump settings help in easier and comfortable control. You can fiddle around to choose the best setting which is most convenient to your pumping style.
- Additionally, the24 mm Personal Fit breast shield helps ease out the hectic process of pumping. The extraction process through this pump will feel like natural sucking from a baby’s mouth.
- A Medela product, which is a US based company is well-known for high-quality baby products.
- The product has been accessorized with an easy belt clip and strap which makes it ideal for carrying and pumping while on the go.
– It has an AC adaptor or can be battery-powered.
– The 2-Phase expression technology helps in extracting a large amount of milk in very less time.
– Easily portable
– Adjustable vacuum-pump
-The product is made of high-quality plastic.
-An easy to handle drawstring bag keeps the pump’s components organized and convenient to store at one place.
– Easy to understand electric functionality will help you start pumping within minutes.
-Single Breast pump, ideal for occasional pumping.
– Customers face milk storage issues when you need to pump milk in larger quantities.
– You might need to buy Breast milk bags or bra pads additionally to help you use this product efficiently.
Medela Swing Breast Pump Instructions
If you are working mother, then Medela Swing Breast Pump will feel like a blessing, as you can pump very discreetly and fill a bottle of milk within no time. Moreover, the product is designed such that in can easily be used without a table top or while traveling in a car.
All the more, the product is cheap as compared to the wonderful quality it provides for. However, if you are a first-time mom and are unsure which breast pump you should choose, then this pump can be a great choice. Owing to the ease of handling and comfortable milking, it has served a wide number of women around the world with amazing results.
2. Nibble Double/Single Electric Breast Pump Review
Are you having trouble keeping up with your baby’s feeding needs? Or are you feeling like your kid is being hungry more than often? If yes, then Breast pump can pacify your difficulty to quite an extent.
A Breast pump is a small device which is used by women around the world to extract milk from their breasts. An evident advantage of this is that you can feed the baby whenever you feel like, and can also pump and store the milk for hours if you are not going to be around for some time. Thus, you need not feed any other kind of milk which is unhealthy for your baby until she is at least a year old.
So how exactly does it operate? The pumping method in breast pumps might vary depending on the technology used in its manufacture. The battery-powered models are operated by a small motor which works on a rechargeable lithium battery. Some electric breast pumps also come with cords and adapters for an alternative to batteries. Some other popular pumps are a manual breast pump. These manual pumps are quite portable and are ideal for not-so-frequent pumping.
Features that will make you buy Nibble Double/Single Electric Breast Pump
Nibble Double/Single Electric Breast Pump comes with an easy user-friendly technology. The manufacturers have designed the product keeping in mind large milking requirements of mothers. All the more, the product has an attractive design which will also help you maintain a comfortable sitting position while extracting milk. Some technical specifications of the product are as follows:
- The product has a 10-level (10 mbar-450 mbar) suction pattern which you can adjust at your own pace. This is provided to impart maximum comfort to the female while pumping.
- The dual pumping functionality with dual pump mechanism helps you to extract from both the breasts simultaneously. This will definitely help you if you are rushing somewhere, say for an important business meeting.
- Anti-back flow system maintains the hygiene of the pump similar to any other hospital grade breast pump.
- You need not worry about any harmful plastics used in the product, the material used is completely BPA free.
- You can also choose the mode you are most comfortable with. The Expression and Stimulation modes can be switched.
- The pump cup is provided with a silicon padding which most women find favorable than other paddings.
Nibble Breast Pump Instructions
Despite serving multiple users across, a major disadvantage of the product is that it can only be used through a cord. It does not have a rechargeable battery functionality. This makes it difficult to be used at times. Other than that, the product imparts absolute ease of hands-free usage, such that you can use the Breast pump and can easily work or text from your other hand.
Predominantly, the product is particularly suitable for large milking requirements. If you are a mother of twins, then this product will be an ultimate bliss for you. The adjustable settings let you maintain the pumping rhythm through which you can extract a breast full of milk comfortably and conveniently within no time. The attractive features of this product make it fall in the league of the best breast pump in the industry today.
3. True Review of Medela Freestyle Breast Pump
If you are having a hard time feeding your baby due to tight working schedules or frequent tiring travels, getting a Breast Pump is quintessential. Another important advantage of a Breast Pump is that you can easily leave your baby with somebody for a long period of time, and keep the baby well fed without having to go for formula milk which the doctors never advise.
Due to a number of variations in the breast pump technology, customers are often confused as to which model they should be opting for to meet their pumping needs. Most Breast pumps can be broadly classified into three types of models.
The first being the manual breast pumps which you can pump at ease and according to your desired speed. These have a breast shield and the suction is created by manually pushing a handle. A major drawback of the manual breast pump is that they cannot be used continuously for a long period of time as your hands might feel tired after a point of time. However, they are best for occasional pumping.
Another variety of breast pumps is the battery-charged breast pumps. These type of pumps come attached with a small motor through which these are operated. Hence, you can be ensured quick pumping.
Also, there is an advanced version of breast pump by which you can extract larger quantities of milk in the shortest possible time. It is an electric breast pump which comes with adapters and batteries. Some of these models might be noisy, but with features like LED display, suction control, memory components, etc. your task of pumping becomes as easy as you could imagine!
What makes Medela Freestyle Breast pump a perfect choice?
Medela Freestyle Breast pump is an advanced version of Breast pumps that is ideal for most requirements of milking. This Breast pump will be a perfect savior for you if your baby does not latch properly or you have discomfort in your nipples while the baby sucks. Thus, it enables you to feed the baby through a bottle. Due to its faster operation, the product is often compared to any hospital grade breast pump.
- The smart LED Display feature with the memory unit helps you save your preferred settings, which means you do not have to adjust the settings every time you are going to use it.
- Particularly, the feature of double pumping helps you collect a large amount of milk within a very short span of time.
- Since the device is battery-powered, you can easily recharge the batteries while traveling, so that you do not necessarily have to hunt for power plugs to operate them. The 2-way Expression technology serves multiple user requirements.
- Along with these super smart features, the product also comes with 2 sizes of Breast shields (24 mm and 27 mm), so you can comfortably choose between the best fit. This feature makes it stand out first in the list of the best breast pump in the market today.
- In addition to that, the pump comes with a timer, so you can record the timings while milking, this enables the user to keep a check on the time duration.
- Additionally, Medela Freestyle Breast pump and its attachments come stacked in a stylish microfiber bag.
- The device also has a cooler bag with 2 milk bottles, and a cooling element instructions manual.
- Also, the device is FSA approved.
Thus, you can easily avail the benefits of this amazing technology which will help you pumping a large quantity of milk on the go. You can check out the customer reviews to check the surprising fan-following of this product. You are surely going to be compelled to buying the Medela Freestyle Breast Pump.
4. BelleMa Melon Comfort Double/Single Electric Breast Pump Review
Why do you need BelleMa Melon Comfort Double/Single Electric Breast Pump?
Buying a Breast pump for milking is a good investment, as it can help you feed your baby with breast milk, whenever you feel like while on the go.
Choosing the best breast pump, which would solve your purpose of anytime feeding, is subjective from one person to another. While the hand-held manual breast pump can be cumbersome to many women, some of them would prefer them over most of the electric models.
With the discovery of the Breast pump technology, life has become easier for lactating women, especially if they working moms or who are into too much travel. Breast pumps have been very ergonomically developed. Particularly, modern day breast pump designs ensure minimum strain to the back and neck while operating them. In addition to that, these display minimal discomfort to the nipples and breasts.
Whether you want to leave your babies with your partners at night or with the babysitters while you leave the office, Breast pumps have really made it all possible. There is simply no match to the usefulness of a Breast pump for you and your baby. So, if you are expecting; and out in the market for your baby shopping, a Breast pump should definitely top your list of essentials.
Why should you choose BelleMa Melon Comfort Double/Single Electric Breast Pump?
BelleMa Melon Comfort Double/Single Electric Breast Pump is as good as any hospital grade breast pump, owing to their effectiveness for frequent usage. When it comes to quality Breast pumps, the name of BelleMa Melon Comfort Breast Pumps cannot be denied by customers due to the comfort and convenience it provides to its users. Here are some top reasons to choose this Breast pump over others.
- The product imparts quick assembly features so that you do not have to fiddle away with the gadget to check what fits where!
It comes with 25 customized pumping settings with its two phase pumping, stimulation, and expression system.
- Furthermore, the device is FDA approved and the plastic used in the product is BPA free.
- All the more, the pump has a memory function which makes it easier to memorize the desired settings.
- To top it all, the product has soft silicone cushions which will be gentle on the nipples and allow for easier milking.
- Easy to assemble and operate.
- Compatible with Medela parts and all the standard size of bottles.
- Provides for a quiet motor pumping making it the best electric breast pump.
- Comes with double pumps which allow for quick and efficient pumping.
- Pumps with twice the speed of a regular pump.
- A slightly enlarged design which makes it difficult to carry easily.
- Can cause spillage of milk if used with misfit bottle covers.
At such an affordable price, the BelleMa Melon Breast pumps have simply eased out the task of nurturing your baby anywhere without any hassle. If you are confused between too many marketing terminologies for breast pumps and confused to how to go for the best bet, then this breast pump might be the good solution to all your needs.
5. Medela Pump in style Advanced Breast Pump
If your baby has trouble while natural-feeding or you cannot feed her directly from the breast because of any reason, then a breast pump becomes a must-have for you. Modern day breast pumps not merely helps to extract milk, but also have many other useful features like double-electric pumping, battery operation, Bluetooth-friendly, and LCD display. These additional features help in automated tracking of the duration while milking, memorize selected pressure settings, and has many other plus points that make feeding your baby simple as never before!
To identify the best breast pump, you will need to do a bit of research between the various models available in the market. You can choose between single or double pumps depending on your requirements. If you want to milk every day in large quantity, then a double electric breast pump would be a good investment as compared to a manual model. You can skim through the other advanced features available to identify which of them would be the most beneficial to you.
Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump Backpack comes with various attractive features
Medela products have earned quite a name in the market owing to the ease and the quality of the products they deliver. This breast pump possesses almost all the good features of any breast pump. You can rightly compare it to any hospital grade breast pump. The dual corded, as well as the battery-operated feature of this breast pump, serves needs of users under different situations and work profiles.
Below are some of the technical highlights of the product:
– The product offers double-pumping functionality, meaning you can pump milk through both the breasts simultaneously which saves a lot of your precious time.
– Operated also through a battery, the product can be recharged and used during long travels.
– The product offers 2-Phase technology-Expression and Stimulation, which can be altered at your ease through a simple touch.
– The ‘Maximum Comfort Vacuum’ function is available for maximum outflow of milk.
– Accessorized by a well-tailored microfiber backpack, the pump, and its components can be easily organized and carried around comfortably.
– The micro-fiber bag has a built-in pump so that you do not end up hunting it around the house while on a run.
– Other than this, the product is also accessorized with a cooler bag which can hold up to 4 milk bottles with an added ice pack to keep the milk fresh and cool.
– The product box would contain the main unit with a motor attached to it, an AC adaptor along with a battery pack, 5 breast milk bottles, 2 standard breast shields measuring 24 mm each, custom connectors, tubing, and valves.
– The material used in the product is completely lead-free.
A point of concern for some users is the little purring sound the pump makes while in process. However, it is a good trade-off to the convenience this electric pump provides over a manual breast pump.
Putting all of this in one line, all that you need to do is either plug or charge this breast pump and express milk in minutes. This will keep your cute little babies satisfied all the time. And you will be relieved of worries surrounding your babies’ health while sitting at your office or workplaces.
Best Breast Pump Brands
Philips Avent Breast Pumps
Based in the UK, Philips AVENT is the largest such company in England. It sells its merchandise worldwide online and in stores. Founded in 1984 as a baby bottle company, it was purchased by Dutch company Philips in 2006 and became a specialist in breast pumps, bottles, pacifiers etc. Best known for its reliable and robust products.
Best for those who prefer manual pumps.
Best for mothers who pump frequently and want to invest in a long-term purchase. Check the avent breast pump price here.
Browns Breast Pumps
As a manufacturer of baby and toddler products including bottles, pacifiers, cups and more, Dr. Brown’s sells manual breast pumps which are designed to gently express milk making them one of the most comfortable breast pumps to own.The products are available in over fifty countries worldwide and in major retailers as well as online.
Using BPA-free plastic in all the bottle parts, the specially designed breast cup is made to conform to your breast shape and to ensure that the suction created by the pump doesn’t tug or pull at your skin.
As an all-in-one system, Dr. Brown’s manual breast pump attaches directly to the bottle used for milk collection making it a lot more convenient and less expensive to buy extra parts such as tubing.
Best for infrequent pumpers who prefer a manual pump.
Medela Breast Pumps
Swiss company Medela was founded in 1961 and is most widely recognized as a maker of hospital-grade, double-electric breast pumps. Specializing in products that use vacuum technology. Medela’s products are available in over 90 countries around the world and have been sold in the United States for almost 30 years.Medela is the only company to provide proven, research-based pump technology.
Medela also has developed and designed an app which helps you track all your information such as pumping and lactation times as well as your baby’s growth. This app can be linked to the relevant breast pumps.
Medela’s hospital-grade, multi-user pumps are available to rent, directly from the company as well as through many hospital departments.
Best for frequent and occasional pumpers.
Nuk Breast Pumps
Owned by Nestle, based in Switzerland, the NUK family of baby care brands has been a trusted name in baby and toddler care. It has developed products for over 50 years.NUK manufactures double- and single electric breast pumps as well as manual models.
NUK offers a selection of pumps at affordable prices. It currently manufactures a double-electric pump, single electric pump, and manual pump to suit your needs. All its pumps are about half the cost of similar styles in leading brands.
Best for new mothers who express frequently and budget friendly.
Tommee Tippee Breast Pumps
Owned by Mayborn Group,Tommee Tippee is an infant and toddler care brand. It focusing on products that support feeding for babies and toddlers. It offers several products for nursing women including a manual pump and breast-feeding accessories.
Tommee Tippee’s manual breast pumps are designed to be small and lightweight for easy pumping. You can easily transport it or store it at home for occasional pumping.
Best for occasional pumpers who want a manual pump.
Spectra Breast Pumps
New to the U.S market, Spectra breast pumps bring style to breast pumping with its eye-catching pumps. Founded in 2012, this fairly new company manufactures manual to hospital grade breast pumps. These pumps are high quality and covered by many insurance plans.
Lansinoh Breast Pumps
Ameda Breast Pumps
First Years Breast Pumps
Breast Pump History
In 1854, O.H. Needham was known to have been issued with a patent for a breast pump by the US Patent office. Edward Lasker, an engineer, made the first mechanical breast pump. Imitating an infant sucking action, this was a marked improvement of the hand operated manual pumps at that time. For this, the U.S. Patent Office issued U.S. Patent 1,644,257 for Lasker’s breast pump. In 1956 Einar Egnell published his article “Viewpoints on what happens mechanically in the female breast during various methods of milk collection”. The Egnell SMB breast pump was designed through this research and many pumps are still in operation today 50 years after its publication.
With the understanding this article and the research has given, it is imperative to know that buying a breast pump is an important decision a mother may have. There are many different types, styles and accessories mothers should think about. As there are many types of breast pumps available, choosing the right pump can be a particularly difficult task it is very important to be prepared and to make the right choice from the start by buying the ideal breast pump depending on your needs. Mainly, mothers need to choose one that fits in around them personally. Think of it as a comfortable dress. You wouldn’t feel happy if you brought an uncomfortable dress that pinched in vulnerable places. The same goes for a breast pump. Whether it’s for the personal use in the comfort of your own home, in the hospital, in the workplace or just traveling, you are guaranteed to find that pump just for you within this article no matter what your budget is.
How Does a Breast Pump Work?
All breast pumps consist of a few basic parts.
- A pump which creates the vacuum that expresses milk. This can have plastic tubing to the connector may be attached to.
- The breast cup, This fits over the nipple and surrounding circular area. These can come in different sizes to fit the moms need.
- Containers for milk, These can a bottle or a disposable bag which collects milk and is used for storage and the bottle used for feeding baby.
To start with, let me ask you, do you need a single or double pump?
Breast pump motors come with either one or two flanges (breast shields) attached.The main difference is efficiency, being the double can pump both breasts instead of the single pumping one.
Single breast pumps: Costing less than a double pump, these come with one flange attached and you will pump each breast separately.You may find that you need to reattach a new bottle to the pump after pumping the first breast. However, these are often small and easy to transport. These are for those mothers who are looking for a cheap option and aren’t looking for pumping more than once a day.
Double breast pumps: More expensive than single breast pumps, double breast pumps have two flanges attached to collect milk from both breasts simultaneously. Great time efficient option for working mothers who need to pump on a regular basis and who want to pump as quickly as possible.[Note: When using only one side of a double pump, don’t forget to seal the other side. Not doing so makes it less efficient by reducing the suction of the pump.]
Breast pumps can be indispensable for a variety of reasons.
Reasons Why Breast Pumps are used
- Mothers returning to work. Mothers who work full or part time and want to continue to breastfeed would benefit from the use of a breast pump.
- Expressing milk for donation.
- Relieving the pain of engorged breasts. (Be aware that too much pumping would aggravate the situation.)
- Unavoidable circumstances. Such as being away from baby for long amounts of time. If the mother is separated from the baby after delivery and the baby is in NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). Pumping in this circumstance will allow the mother to build up her breast milk supply whilst waiting for the baby to be able to latch onto the breast.
- To help to pull out flat nipples or inverted nipples.
- To begin re-lactating. Using a breast pump after/between nursing sessions helps stimulate the body top to produce more breast milk.
- To establish a milk supply for an adopted baby. The body does not know that it needs to create breast milk if it hasn’t gone through pregnancy and delivery. Whilst a challenge, it is feasible and would provide an excellent supplement to a formula based diet.
- You want to increase your milk supply. Hormones affected by health conditions such as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), could cause a low milk supply. Please note that you will need to see your doctor for professional treatment.
- To temporarily wean the child. Helps to make a smooth transition from breast to solid food.
Depending on the mother’s needs the breast pumps fall into two categories:
- the electric/battery powered
- or the manual pump.
The electrical/battery powered ones are for the mothers who return to work full-time or are frequently away from their baby and can’t nurse regularly. To elicit the let-down response, these pumps can start with short and quick sucks and then graduate into a deeper sucking pattern which mimics a baby’s suckling motion.If you’re in a room lacking a convenient electrical outlet some pumps come with a handy option of a built-in battery pack. Some even come with a car power outlet adapter for those on the go.
Lightweight at weighing 5 pounds or less, these are easily transportable and often include accessories like storage bags, clips, and bottles etc.
High Range Electric breast pumps: These pumps are for those who pump several times a day and have a good flow of milk. Once milk flow has been established, mothers may simply want the flexibility an electric pump can offer. An important feature for those mothers in the workplace is the fast pumping feature. With the possibility of working on batteries as well as mains powered, this is a portable option.
Mid-Range Electric breast pumps: These are the most common choice for mothers who can’t or not want to express manually may find that these are budget-friendly and effective.Designed for use of one breast at a time, they are lightweight and portable.
How to Use a Breast Pump?
If your baby’s premature, in the NICU or if you have a medical condition, it may be recommended to get a hospital grade pump. These are generally more durable, sturdy and has a rapid suck-and-release cycle that draws milk from your breasts. Most of these are in a kit of doubles meaning you can cut the expressing time in half by pumping both breasts at once. This is also used for those whose babies can’t nurse properly/have trouble latching.
The manual ones are generally for those who express now and then and are a cheaper option. Weighing at 2 pounds or less, these are portable and more affordable than the electric models. Conveniently sized and simple, some moms say they feel more natural because they more closely mimic a baby’s suckling. Also, there is a feeling of more control over the flow intensity.
Squeezing a lever or pumping a piston to get the milk flowing, these pumps typically empty one breast at a time and may require the use of both hands. Some are designed for single handedness and double manual pumps are available for moms who prefer the dual option.A typical pumping session lasts about 10 to 15 minutes a breast. If you’ll be pumping at work or in other time-crunched situations, you might want to invest in an electric breast pump that allows you to pump both simultaneously. A double-breast pump helps stimulate milk production while reducing pumping time by half.
Breast Pump Buying Tips
Before buying here are some important things you need to think about-
How Often Do You Need to Pump?
Once a day, several times a day or occasionally? Which conditions is it to be used in? If you need to pump very often an electric pump will give you the best results.
Many breast pumps have specific accessories that help make pumping easier or more convenient. Such as bottles, extra flanges, and tubing. In some cases, these come standard with the pump; in other cases, you’ll need to purchase the accessories separately.
Multiple Flange Sizes
An appropriate and comfortable size of the flange/breast shield. When buying a pump, look for different flange size options. Pump fit is not about breast size; it’s about nipple size. It refers to how well your nipples fit into the pump opening that your nipples are pulled into during pumping.
The right fit is an important aspect of pump comfort and efficiency. Women commonly need to go up a size over what’s provided with the pump because women’s breasts and areol as come in many shapes and sizes. Standard or average-sized flanges will not fit everyone. Watch your nipple while pumping. Is your nipple turning white or red? Rubbing painfully? Do you feel like your breasts are still full after pumping? Many brands offer several sizes of flanges with their pumps or offer them for sale separately. Buy the ones that will provide the most comfort saving you from any possible pain or discomfort. All women’s breasts are different and therefore it is very important to choose the right flange for you. Be sure to use the right size phalanges for your nipples and position them just right so you don’t pinch or irritate yourself.
Is your nipple turning white or red? Rubbing painfully? Do you feel like your breasts are still full after pumping? Many brands offer several sizes of flanges with their pumps or offer them for sale separately. Buy the ones that will provide the most comfort saving you from any possible pain or discomfort. All women’s breasts are different and therefore it is very important to choose the right flange for you. Be sure to use the right size phalanges for your nipples and position them just right so you don’t pinch or irritate yourself.
All women’s breasts are different and therefore it is very important to choose the right flange for you. Be sure to use the right size phalanges for your nipples and position them just right so you don’t pinch or irritate yourself.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Breast Pump
- Ensure proper suction
- Experience optimal milk removal.
- Achieve maximum pumping comfort.
- BPA free: Look for pumps which have “BPA free” on the packaging. Most breast pumps come into contact with plastic which could contain ingredients which can be harmful to food storage, especially BPA which is a chemical additive is often used to strengthen the material and prevent shattering, which can leach out of the plastic when it is being washed and then contaminate the breast milk. It can also be harmful to infants and children, which is why it is important to look for a model that does not use any chemical additives. PBA free containers are safe, sturdy, and are also resistant to bacterial growth.
- Weight: Do you want to lug around a heavy pump all day? To save a bad back, consider purchasing a small manual one for on the go.
- Noise level: Nobody wants to hear the mechanical engineering in the night time hours. Look for quiet sounding ones that won’t disturb you or anybody else.
- Power options: Do you need a transportable pump? Some breast pumps, such as hospital grade ones, are only compatible with the mains supply making it impossible to move from one spot where it’s plugged in. If you want to be more mobile, consider the battery powered option.
- Additional membranes and valves: Most pumps come with all the parts they need to operate, but some of the parts are easily damaged or lost. Most pumps use one membrane and one valve to separate the pumping mechanism from the flange and milk collection bottle. Think about buying extras to have on hand. This will ensure that you can operate your pump even if you misplace or damage these essential but tiny parts.
- An appropriate level of vacuum or suction: which should not be greater than 250 mm Hg because it can cause pain.
- Quality: Using a high-quality pump, you will get the best results and shouldn’t hurt when properly attached. Some women have trouble getting enough milk out if they’re using a manual pump or an electric one that doesn’t work very well. Don’t waste money on a cheaply made pump. They do not work very well, are noisy, break down often, and can even cause nipple damage.
- How easy is the pump to use?: Learn how to use the pump properly.Learn how to position it correctly and adjust the suctioning to get the best results. Good breast pumps mimic the sucking action of a baby and won’t cause you pain. For the best results, follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use the pump correctly, and make sure the pump is good working order. Sometimes it takes a little while for your milk to start flowing. Try to choose a time when you feel relaxed.
- Do you want an open or a closed system?: Closed system pumps have a barrier between the pump mechanism and the container with the milk, which prevents penetration of bacteria and dirt from the outside. An open system is fine if you are the only user of it, but if you plan on renting or borrowing one, make sure that it is a closed system no matter what.
- Warranty: Check the warranty length as this is the expected lifetime of the pump. If you use the pump after the warranty expires and it breaks down, you will have no recourse from the manufacturer. Also, use the warranty length as a guide on how durable the pump is. The longer the warranty, the more likely the pump is sustainable.
- Cleaning: Don’t forget cleanliness. Clean all the relevant pump parts after each use. You don’t have to sterilize them; dish soap and warm water will also do the job with some decent scrubbing. Then rinse with hot water for 10 to 15 seconds and allow to air dry on a clean paper towel. (Check your pump’s manual for specific instructions.)Unless breast milk gets into the tubes, do not clean them. Check the manual and let it air dry before reattaching it to the pump. If you see small water drops in the tubing, turn the pump on for a few minutes to help dry the tubes out. This is to ensure your milk is always in top condition when fed to your baby.
- Storage guidelines: Check the guidelines for storage of milk. It generally is recommended to store breast milk in a sterilised container or in special breast milk storage bags: in the fridge for up to five days at 39.2F or lower or for up to six months in a freezer Breast milk that’s been cooled in the fridge can be carried in a cool bag with ice packs for up to 24 hours. If you’re freezing it, make sure you label and date it first.
5 Things You Should Consider Before Buying a Hospital Grade Breast Pump
Hospital Grade Breast pumps are the most advanced kind of breast pumps available on the market today. These are considered the best breast pump for one to buy. If a mother is unable to feed the child properly or the baby is not able to build up the milk in the breast while nursing, the doctors recommend these breast pumps. These are more powerful than the manual breast pumps and the electronic breast pumps. Moreover, these can be used by multiple users. Also, these have a longer life and can extract more milk than the other two types.
The hospital grade breast pumps are the ones that are available in the hospitals to help the mothers who have difficulties in feeding the child. These pumps are a lot costlier than the other portable ones and also very big in size. But, for the mothers with frequent needs of feeding or the ones who need to extract more amount of milk at a time, these can be very useful.
If you are planning on buying a hospital grade breast pump, here are a few things to note:
- The Size of the Shield- All the breasts are different and all the nipples are designed differently. The breast pumps come with different shields according to the various nipple and breast types. If your breast is getting red or there is a pain in them while feeding, you might need to consider the size of the shield. Make sure you ask the seller about the different options available before settling for one.
- Power- Buying a hospital grade breast pump automatically means that the amount of milk that you need is more than regular. These breast pumps are way more powerful than the manual or the electric breast pumps but the power can be easily adjusted. There are some that are bigger than the others. So if you want to buy them for your personal use, buying the one smaller in size is better.
- Cost- The hospital grade breast pumps are much costlier than the other types of breast pumps. So, it is very important to see what features are useful for your need since the extra features add to the cost.
- Renting- Most hospitals readily rent these breast pumps since they can be easily used by multiple people. If you do not have enough finances to buy a hospital grade breast pump, then renting one is the best idea. Moreover, it is not at all smart to spend a lot of money on a breast pump that only has to be used once. You can also consider selling or renting your breast pump to some other lactating mother.
- Sensitivity- Some women have sensitive nipples and the constituents of the shields can cause irritation and redness of the skin. If you have skin allergies from different chemicals, it is very important to see the materials that have been used in making the parts that will be in direct contact with your skin. Also, checking the validity of the breast pump is very important as an expired one can produce harmful toxins that can be very harmful to the child’s health.
6 Things You Should Consider Before Buying an Electric Breast Pump
An electric breast pump is a device that is used to extract the milk from the breasts of the lactating mothers. These are powered by electricity and their movement can be controlled by a small switch. Breast pumps have been used by women for a long time and new inventions have been made continuously to improve their functioning. Electric breast pumps are the most advanced pumps that are easy to use and operate. Every lactating mother needs a breast pump. So if you are thinking of buying an electric breast pump, here are a few things that you should keep in mind:
- Single or double electric pump- The electric pumps come as the single or double. If you need to pump the milk more frequently which happens in the case of working mothers, then the double electric breast pump is useful for you. They work fast and can be used on both the breasts together, saving you a lot of time. Both the breasts when pumped simultaneously will obviously produce more milk and also increase milk production. Although the single electric breast pumps take more time to extract milk from both the breasts one by one, these are cheaper than the double ones.
- The sensitivity of the nipples- Some electric breast pumps tug on the breasts a little harder than the manual breast pump and can be uncomfortable for some women. So you should keep it in mind before buying a breast pump for yourself. There are some electric breast pumps available that mimic the sucking motion of the baby and are gentle on the breast. The material of the pump might cause allergies in some cases. Before buying an electronic breast pump check the ingredients that are used in making the machine.
- Adjustable Vacuum- An adjustable vacuum is also very important in providing the comfort in pumping out the milk from the breast. In the breast pumps without an adjustment of vacuum, the breast gets stuck and pinched hard causing pain to the feeding mother.
- Cycling time- Each breast pump has different cycling time i.e. the number of times the pump sucks on the breast per minute. If you are someone who is short on time and needs to constantly pump milk, then the one with more cycling time will be the best option for you.
- Operation- Each and every model of the breast pump is designed to suit the comfort of different people. So, before buying an electric breast pump, see that whether you will be able to easily clean it or not. The breast pump should be easy to operate, easy to clean and easy to assemble.
- Cost- Not everyone needs all the new functions a breast pump can provide. With each additional feature, the cost of the breast pump also increases. So, buying a breast pump with features that are suitable for your need is very important. Since the breast pumps are going to be used just one time or maybe twice, spending a fortune on them is not necessary.
5 Things You Should Consider Before Buying a Manual Breast Pump
The manual breast pumps have been around for ages and are one of the most important equipment for a lactating mother. Breast pumps are a godsend for the working mothers who need to constantly feed their babies. The manual breast pumps are operated by hand and there is no external force used. Many new types of breast pumps have been invented but most women prefer manual breast pumps for its ease of handling and simplicity.
If you are thinking of buying a manual breast pump, here are a few things you need to consider:
- The frequency of use- If you are a working mother and have to stay away from your child for longer hours, you might need a lot of milk to keep the baby well fed throughout the day. In such a case manual breast pumps can be a little slow. However, these are very comfortable and easy to use. To solve this problem, buy the breast pumps that come with bigger attachments or bottles that can directly store the milk and will save you the time of transferring the milk from one container to another.
- Comfort- To make your experience more comfortable, there are many breast pumps that come with cushions or breast shields. For the women with sensitive breasts, nipple shields can be very useful. They prevent the mouth of the breast pump from tugging on the nipples too hard. For the others who need to use manual breast pumps regularly, this is very important. Some women have very sensitive breasts and the material used in the pump might irritate the breast. So, before buying a pump noting all the constituents that have been used in making it are very important.
- Stand- Some manual breast pumps come with a stand. For the women who express a lot and do not want to keep unpacking and packing the pump every time. These stands can be useful. You can just wash the pump and keep them on the stand until the next use.
- Cost- The breast pumps are usually pocket-friendly but there are some brands that sell the regular manual breast pumps at a higher than required price. So, before you buy a breast pump it is very important to compare it with the others present in the market. Also, you need to see what features are suitable for your comfort. Buying a pump with unnecessary features only increases its cost.
- Validity- Another important thing to consider before buying the best breast pump for yourself is checking its validity. The manual breast pumps are mostly made of plastic and if the material expires, the chemicals in it might be very harmful to the child. Hence, it is very important to check the validity of the breast pump before buying it.
Where to Buy a Breast Pump
No matter what your reasons are for buying a breast pump, there is one made for your specifications. Here is an easy to use the chart for quick links. Except this, Also you can use the best breast pumps that covered by your health insurance.